Dr Jonathan Emberson
Jonathan holds a BA (Hons) in Mathematics (1998) and an MSc in Applied Statistics (1999) from the University of Oxford. He obtained his PhD in Epidemiology from University College London in 2004 and held a BHF Junior Research Fellowship from 2002-2004. In 2004 he joined the Clinical Trial Service Unit (CTSU) as a Senior Statistician, where he was involved in several of the unit’s major projects, many of which had a cardiovascular focus. These included the Cholesterol Treatment Trialists Collaboration (CTTC), the Study of Heart and Renal Protection (SHARP), the Mexico City Prospective Study, and many others. In January 2009 he was awarded an Intermediate Fellowship from the BHF CRE, at which point he had over 40 peer reviewed publications predominantly in the field of cardiovascular disease research. He remained in CTSU for the duration of his
CRE Intermediate Fellowship.
Outputs from his Fellowship include 12 peer reviewed publications:
- C Baigent, MJ Landray, C Reith, J Emberson, DC Wheeler, C Tomson, C Wanner, V Krane, A Cass, J Craig, B Neal, L Jiang, LS Hooi, A Levin, L Agodoa, M Gaziano, B Kasiske, R Walker, ZA Massy, B Feldt-Rasmussen, U Krairittichai, V Ophascharoensuk, B Fellström, H Holdaas, V Tesar, A Wiecek, D Grobbee, D de Zeeuw, C Grönhagen-Riska, T Dasgupta, D Lewis, W Herrington, M Mafh am, W Majoni, K Wallendszus, R Grimm, T Pedersen, J Tobert, J Armitage, A Baxter, C Bray, Y Chen, Z Chen, M Hill, C Knott, S Parish, D Simpson, P Sleight, A Young, R Collins, on behalf of the SHARP Investigators*. The effects of lowering LDL cholesterol with simvastatin plus ezetimibe in patients with chronic kidney disease (Study of Heart and Renal Protection): a randomized placebo-controlled trial. The Lancet. Published online June 9, 2011 DOI:10.1016/S0140-6736(11)60739-3
- K Rahimi, J Emberson, P McGale, W Majoni, A Merhi, FW Asselbergs, V Krane and PW Macfarlane. Effect of Statins on Atrial Fibrillation: A Collaborative Meta-analysis of Published and Unpublished Evidence from Randomised Controlled Trials. BMJ 2011; 342:d1250
- Heart Protection Study Collaborative Group (writing committee: J Emberson, D Bennett, E Link, S Parish, J Danesh, J Armitage, R Collins) C-reactive protein concentration and the vascular benefits of statin therapy: an analysis of 20 536 patients in the Heart Protection Study. Lancet 2011; 377:469-76
- Cholesterol Treatment Trialists’ Collaboration (writing committee: C Baigent, L Blackwell, J Emberson, L Holland, C Reith, N Bhala, E Barnes, A Keech, J Simes, R Collins). Efficacy and safety of intensive LDL-cholesterol-lowering therapy: a meta-analysis of data from 170 000 participants in 26 randomised trials. Lancet 2010; 376:1670-81
- MJ Landray, JR Emberson, L Blackwell, T Dasgupta, R Zakeri, MD Morgan, CJ Ferro, S Vickery, P Ayrton, D Nair, RN Dalton, EJ Lamb, C Baigent, JN Townend, DC Wheeler. Prediction of end-stage renal disease and death among people with chronic kidney disease: the Chronic Renal Impairment in Birmingham (CRIB) prospective cohort study. Am J Kidney Dis 2010; 56:1082-94
- SHARP Collaborative Group (writing committee: C Baigent, M Landray, C Reith, T Dasgupta, J Emberson, W Herrington, D Lewis, M Mafham, R Collins). Study of Heart and Renal Protection (SHARP): Randomized trial to assess the effects of lowering low-density lipoprotein cholesterol among 9,438 patients with chronic kidney disease. Am Heart J 2010; 160:785-794
- Emberson J, Haynes R, Dasgupta T, Mafham M, Landray M, Baigent C, Clarke R. Cystatin C and risk of vascular and nonvascular mortality in a prospective cohort study of older men. J Int Med 2010; 268:145-54.
- Antithrombotic Trialists’ Collaboration (Writing committee: Baigent, Blackwell, Collins, Emberson, Godwin, Peto, Buring, Hennekens, Kearney, Meade, Patrono, Roncaglioni, Zanchetti). Aspirin in the primary and secondary prevention of vascular disease: collaborative meta-analysis of individual participant data. Lancet 2009; 373:1849-60
- Prospective Studies Collaboration (Writing committee: G Whitlock, S Lewington, P Sherliker, R Clarke, J Emberson, J Halsey, N Qizilbash, R Collins, R Peto). Body-mass index and cause-specific mortality in 900 000 adults: collaborative analyses of 57 prospective studies. Lancet 2009; 373:1083-96
- R Clarke, J Emberson, A Fletcher, E Breeze, M Marmot, M Shipley. Life expectancy in relation to cardiovascular risk factors: 38 year follow-up of 19000 men in the Whitehall study of London civil servants. BMJ 2009; 339:b3513
- J Emberson and P Kuri-Morales (joint first authors), J Alegre Diaz, R Tapia-Conyer, R Collins, R Peto, G Whitlock. The prevalence of chronic diseases and major disease risk factors at different ages among 150 000 men and women living in Mexico City: cross-sectional analyses of a prospective study. BMC Public Health 2009; 9:9.
- D Bennett and J Emberson. ACP Journal Club: Stratification for exploring heterogeneity in systematic reviews. Ann Intern Med. 2009; 151:JC4-2, JC4-3
By the end of his fellowship Jonathan was awarded a University Research Lectureship from the University of Oxford. He continues to work in CTSU.