BHF Centre of Research Excellence, University of Oxford
Cardiovascular Science Vacation Studentships, summer 2018
Application deadline: Monday 12th February 2018 (12 noon)
The BHF Centre of Research Excellence (CRE) in Oxford is offering a small number of vacation studentships to enable talented and motivated undergraduates to carry out a research project in cardiovascular science in summer 2018.
The BHF CRE brings together over 60 world leading research groups, based in departments and centres across the University of Oxford. Together they cover the translational research spectrum from basic science through to clinical and population health research.
The vacation studentships are for a maximum of 10 weeks duration, during the summer of 2018, and offer undergraduates an exciting opportunity to contribute to a challenging and meaningful research project in a world leading cardiovascular research group in Oxford.
Students are invited to indicate their choice from the cardiovascular science research topics in the application. Successful students will be allocated to an Oxford BHF CRE research group, and are expected to have the opportunity to be involved in the design and planning of the research project.
Further information about the Oxford BHF CRE research themes and lead researchers can be found here.
Each student will receive a tax free stipend of £200 per week, or £100 per week if living at home. Each host lab will receive up to £1,000 towards consumables.
Applicants must be one of the following:
- an undergraduate in the middle years of their degree (not first or final years).
- a medical student between the end of their second year and the end of their penultimate year.
- a graduate entry medical student at the end of year 1, without significant research experience.
The Oxford BHF CRE research groups are multi-disciplinary in their research approaches; applicants from a wide range of undergraduate courses will be considered such as chemistry, biomedical sciences, statistics, biochemistry, biomedical engineering, physics, computational sciences and others.
The vacation studentships are open to undergraduates from any university, but the summer projects must be undertaken at Oxford University within a BHF CRE research group. International students are welcome to apply, but may require a "short-term study visa", information via website: https://www.gov.uk/study-visit-visa/overview
We regret the BHF CRE is unable to provide reimbursement for visa costs or assist with travel arrangements on behalf of the applicants.
Selection will be based on a student’s track record, and the enthusiasm and commitment shown to cardiovascular research.
On considering your application we look at:
- your academic results to date
- your personal statement expressing your desire to undertake a research project in a cardiovascular research group
- the reference letter from your personal tutor / supervisor
Please note a preference will be given to undergraduates with limited research experience.
How to apply
Deadline: Monday 12th February 2018 (12 noon)
You application must include the following (please note there is no application form):
- Your CV, please ensure it contains the following:
The University where you are currently enrolled as an undergraduate student
The full title, start and end dates of your undergraduate degree course
The year of study you are currently in (up to end of academic year 2017/18)
Academic grades (if available, please attached an interim transcript of your undergraduate grades to date)
- A statement explaining your interest in undertaking research, indicating particular areas of cardiovascular related research you are interested in, with reference to the Oxford BHF CRE core research themes (one A4 page maximum). You can propose to work with a specific Oxford BHF CRE supervisor but this is not a requirement.
- The dates you will be available to work in Oxford during summer 2018.
Your current academic supervisor / programme manager should submit separately:
- Letter of support confirming the applicant’s academic grades, and commenting on their potential to work independently on a research project on a sustained basis, and to cope with the challenges that arise when conducting experiments. Please note we do not contact supervisors/referees on behalf of the student. It is up to the student to request a letter of support which the supervisor submits by the application deadline 12 February 2018 (12 noon).
Applications and letters of support (preferably submitted directly by the supervisor) should be emailed to: BHFCRE.VacationStudentships@cardiov.ox.ac.uk
Please note students are not permitted to use the vacation studentship to work on a dissertation, project or other submitted work towards their degree.
Successful applicants will be informed by mid-March 2018.
All students will be expected to submit a short report (three pages max) at the end of their studentship, outlining the background to their research, the results they obtained and the conclusions. In addition they are requested to write a paragraph on how the studentship has benefitted them.
Any questions regarding the studentships should be directed to Philippa Major, Research Facilitator
for the Oxford BHF Centre of Research Excellence, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine.
Philippa.Major@cardiov.ox.ac.uk or 01865 234348.