BHF Centre of Research Excellence, University of Oxford
Cardiovascular Science Vacation Studentships
The call for studentships is closed for 2017
The BHF Centre of Research Excellence (CRE) in Oxford is offering a small number of vacation studentships to enable talented and motivated undergraduates to carry out a research project in cardiovascular science this coming summer.
The BHF CRE brings together over 60 world leading research groups, based in departments and centres across the University of Oxford. Each research group focuses on different aspects of cardiovascular science and together they cover the translational research spectrum from basic to clinical research.
Further information about all the Oxford BHF CRE lead researchers can be found here.
The vacation studentships are for a maximum of 10 weeks duration and offer undergraduates an exciting opportunity to contribute to a challenging and meaningful research project in a world leading cardiovascular research group in Oxford.
Successful student’s will be allocated to Oxford BHF CRE group leaders / supervisor, and will be expected to have the opportunity to be involved in the design and planning of the research project.
Each student will receive a tax free stipend of £200 per week, or £100 per week if living at home. Each host lab will receive up to £1,000 towards consumables.
Applicants must be one of the following:
- an undergraduate in the middle years of their degree (not first or final years).
- a medical student between the end of their second year and the end of their penultimate year.
- a graduate entry medical student at the end of year 1, without significant research experience.
The Oxford BHF CRE research groups are multi-disciplinary in their research approaches, so applicants from a wide range of undergraduate courses will be considered e.g. chemistry, biomedical science, statistics, biological sciences, biochemistry, biomedical engineering etc.
Selection will be based on a student’s track record and their enthusiasm and commitment to cardiovascular research.
When we consider your application, we'll also look at your:
- results to date
- personal statement
- desire to undertake a research project in a cardiovascular research group
- reference from a personal tutor
Please note, we will give preference to undergraduates with limited research experience.
How to apply
The student should submit an application which must include:
- A CV which includes academic grades (if available, please attached an interim transcript of your undergraduate grades to date).
- A statement explaining your interest in undertaking research, and indicating particular areas of cardiovascular related research you are interested in, with reference to the Oxford BHF CRE core research themes (1 page statement maximum). Proposals to work with a specific Oxford BHF CRE supervisor will also be considered.
- The dates you are available to work in Oxford during the summer.
A current academic supervisor / programme manager should submit:
- A letter of support confirming the applicant’s academic grades and commenting on their potential to work independently on a research project on a sustained basis and cope with the challenges that arise when conducting experiments.
Please note that students are not permitted to use the vacation studentship to work on a dissertation, project or other submitted work for their degree.
Applications and letters of support (letters submitted directly by the supervisor if possible) should be emailed to: BHFCRE.VacationStudentships@cardiov.ox.ac.uk
All students will be expected to submit a short report at the end of their studentship, outlining the background to their research, the results they obtained and their conclusions. In addition they should also write a paragraph on how the studentship has benefited them.
Any questions regarding the studentships should be directed to Philippa Major, Research Facilitator for the Oxford BHF Centre of Research Excellence, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine.
Philippa.firstname.lastname@example.org or 01865 234348.