Radiation induced cardiovascular disease
- 1 May 2009 to 31 March 2014
- Awards: Pump-priming Awards
The BHF CRE funding has enabled my team to achieve international excellence in cardio-oncology. It has helped us to publish a number of papers in high-impact journals and also to gain longer-term funding in the form of a CRUK Programme Award which, among other things, continues to study the impact of cardiovascular disease in cancer patients.
Publications linked to this award:
- Aleman BMP, Moser EC, Nuver J, Suter TM, Maraldo MV, Specht L, Vrieling C, Darby SC. Cardiovascular disease after cancer therapy. EJC Supplements. 2014; 12, 18-28.
- Aznar MC, Darby S, Collins GP, Cutter D. Cumulative burden of disease: a relevant measure of the late side-effects of cancer treatment. Lancet Oncol. 2016; 17 :1189-90. doi: 10.1016/S1470-2045(16)30283-2.
- Cutter D, Darby S, Yusuf S. Risks of Heart Disease after Radiotherapy. Texas Heart Institute Journal. 2011; 38: 257-258.
- Cutter D, Taylor C, Rahimi K, McGale P, Ferreira V, Darby S. Effects of radiation therapy on the cardiovascular System. Chapter 7 in Cancer and the Heart 2nd edition (eds: Ewer, M TH Yeh, E). 2013.
- Cutter DJ et al. Risk of valvular heart disease after treatment for Hodgkin lymphoma. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2015 Apr;107(4)
- Darby SC et al. Radiation-related heart disease: current knowledge and future prospects. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010 Mar 1;76(3):656-65.
- Darby SC et al. Risk of ischemic heart disease in women after radiotherapy for breast cancer. N Engl J Med. 2013 Mar 14;368(11):987-98
- Duane F et al. A cardiac contouring atlas for radiotherapy. Radiother Oncol. 2017 Mar;122(3):416-422
- Henson KE et al. Cardiac Mortality Among 200 000 Five-Year Survivors of Cancer Diagnosed at 15 to 39 Years of Age: The Teenage and Young Adult Cancer Survivor Study. Circulation. 2016 Nov 15;134(20):1519-1531
- Henson KE, McGale P, Taylor C, Darby SC. Radiation-related mortality from heart disease and lung cancer more than 20 years after radiotherapy for breast cancer. Br J Cancer. 2013; 108(1): 179-82.
- Lorenzen EL, Brink C, Taylor CW, Darby SC, Ewertz M. Uncertainties in estimating heart doses from 2D-tangential breast cancer radiotherapy. Radiother Oncol. 2016;119:71-6. doi: 10.1016/j.radonc.2016.02.017.
- Lorenzen EL, Taylor CW, Maraldo M, Nielsen MH, Offersen BV, Andersen MR, O'Dwyer D, Larsen L, Duxbury S, Jhitta B, Darby SC, Ewertz M, Brink C. Inter-observer variation in delineation of the heart and left anterior descending coronary artery in radiotherapy for breast cancer: a multi-centre study from Denmark and the UK. Radiother Oncol. 2013 108:254-8.
- McGale P, Cutter D, Darby SC, Henson KE, Jagsi R, Taylor C. Can observational data replace randomised trials? J Clin Oncol 34:3355-56, 2016.
- McGale P, Darby SC. Hall P, Adolfsson J, Bengtsson N, Bennet AM, Fornander T, Gigante B, Jensen M-B, Peto R, Rahimi K, Taylor CW, Ewertz M.. Incidence of heart disease in 35,000 women treated with radiotherapy for breast cancer in Denmark and Sweden. Radiotherapy and Oncology 2011; 100, 167-175.
- Rehammar JC, Jensen MB, McGale P, Lorenzen EL, Taylor C, Darby SC, Videbæk L, Wang Z, Ewertz M. Risk of heart disease in relation to radiotherapy and chemotherapy with anthracyclines among 19,464 breast cancer patients inDenmark, 1977-2005. Radiother Oncol. 2017 May;123(2):299-305. doi:10.1016/j.radonc.2017.03.012.
- Rugbjerg K et al. Long-term Hospitalisation Rates among 5-year Survivors of Hodgkin Lymphoma in Adolescence or Young Adulthood - A Nationwide Cohort Study. Int J Cancer. 2017 May 15;140(10):2232-2245
- Sakata R, McGale P, Grant EJ, Ozasa K, Peto R, Darby SC. Impact of smoking on mortality and life expectancy in Japanese smokers: a prospective cohort study. BMJ 2012;345:e7093
- Taylor C, Darby SC. Ischemic heart disease and breast cancer radiotherapy: the way forward. JAMA Intern Med. 2014; 174:160-1.
- Taylor CW, Brønnum D, Darby SC, Gagliardi G, Hall P, Jensen MB, McGale P, Nisbet A, Ewertz M. Cardiac dose estimates from Danish and Swedish breast cancer radiotherapy during 1977-2001.. Radiother Oncol, 2011; 100:176-183. doi:10.1016/j.radonc.2011.01.020
- Taylor CW, Wang Z, Macaulay E, Jagsi R, Duane F, Darby SC. Exposure of theHeart in Breast Cancer Radiation Therapy: A Systematic Review of Heart DosesPublished During 2003 to 2013. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2015; 93:845-53.
- van Nimwegen FA et al. Simple method to estimate mean heart dose from Hodgkin lymphoma radiation therapy according to simulation X-rays. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2015 May 1;92(1):153-60
- van Nimwegen FA etal. Risk of heart failure in survivors of Hodgkin lymphoma: Effects of cardiac exposure to radiation and anthracyclines. Blood. 2017 Apr 20;129(16):2257-2265
- van Nimwegen FA, Schaapveld M, Cutter DJ, Janus CP, Krol ADG, Hauptmann M, Kooijman K, Roesink J, van der Maazen R, Darby SC, Aleman BMP, van Leeuwen FE. A Radiation dose-response relationship for risk of coronary heart disease in survivors of Hodgkin lymphoma. J Clin Oncol. 2016 Jan 20;34(3):235-43