Oxford BHF Centre of Research Excellence (Oxford BHF CRE)
The focus of the Oxford BHF CRE covers the entire cardiovascular research spectrum, from discovery science through to clinical and population health research.
The Centre has four core Research Themes and includes over 70 individual Principal Investigators and their research groups across the University. The four selected focal areas for the BHF CRE are Big Data, Human Genetics, Target Discovery and Development & Regeneration which are categorised by scientific approach rather than disease entity, and are designed to facilitate cross-fertilisation.
Aims & ambitions of the Oxford BHF Centre of Research Excellence:
- Build a truly collaborative cardiovascular community in Oxford, where epidemiologists, basic scientists, clinicians, mathematicians and chemists share ideas and expertise to drive forward important new research
- Use the BHF CRE funding to engineer solutions across the spectrum of cardiovascular science (population, clinical, molecular) to enable teams of investigators to address their research questions by employing multidisciplinary approaches
- Empower researchers to work across disease areas to ensure insights and reagents arising from research into one disease can be harnessed to inform and maximise impact in cardiovascular research
- Support capacity development and skills acquisition to develop the future leaders in cardiovascular research
- Develop and strengthen collaborations with academic colleagues and industry partners around the globe
- Engage a wider audience with our research programme and developments
- To become the leading UK centre for cardiovascular research and amongst the leading cardiovascular centres worldwide