+44 (0)1865 234593
- D.Phil. in Medical Sciences - Cardiovascular Medicine
- Consultant Cardiologist
- Multi-modality Imaging & Clinical Trials
Dr. Spartera works at the Oxford Centre for Clinical Magnetic Resonance (OCMR) at the John Radcliffe Hospital where he completed his DPhil (PhD) studies. He is affiliated with St Peter's college - University of Oxford. Dr. Spartera also works as a consultant cardiologist at the Hillingdon Hospital NHS Foundation Trust (London) and has one clinic at the Mount Vernon hospital (London).
Dr. Spartera is a cardiologist specialized in non-invasive cardiac imaging with a particular focus on cardiovascular MRI, cardiac CT, and advanced echocardiography (TOE and DSE).
His doctoral research, funded by NIHR Oxford Biomedical Research Centre, is focused on studying mechanisms of cardioembolism and developing novel imaging biomarkers to predict risk of ischaemic stroke. Stroke is a major health condition with an incidence of at least 100,000 per year in the United Kingdom, and a 30-day mortality of approximately 23%. Of those who survive stroke, approximately 50% suffer from disability, and around 1 in 4 will experience another stroke within five years.
Finally, Dr. Spartera is an investigator of LOSE-AF trial (NCT03713775), a Randomized Controlled Trial to investigate whether in older overweight/obese patients with Atrial Fibrillation (AF) weight loss can improve AF outcomes and physical performance as compared to usual care. Atrial fibrillation (AF) affects over 1 million individuals in the UK and results in costs of over £450 million per year to the National Health Service (NHS). Current rhythm control strategies are limited by high recurrences of AF. New strategies tackling more upstream pathophysiological mechanisms are most needed.
1. M Spartera, G Pessoa-Amorim, A Stracquadanio, A Von Ende, A Fletcher, P Manley, S Neubauer, V M Ferreira, B Casadei, AT Hess & RS Wijesurendra. Left Atrial 4D Flow MRI: Reproducibility and Temporal Variability. Left atrial 4D flow cardiovascular magnetic resonance: a reproducibility study in sinus rhythm and atrial fibrillation. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson 23, 29 (2021).
2. Spartera, M. Features of a covert cardiomyopathy are present in patients with unexplained syncope and incident ventricular tachycardia. Int J Cardiovasc Imaging (2021).
3. M Spartera. New Valves, Old Diagnostic Problems - Time to embrace novel approaches? International Journal of Cardiology 2018 Jun 7. Invited Editorial.
4. M Spartera, F Ancona, M Barletta, I Rosa, S Stella, C Marini, L Italia, M Montorfano, A Latib, O Alfieri, A Margonato, A Colombo, E Agricola. Echocardiographic signs of post-TAVI thrombosis and endocarditis. Echocardiography. 2017 Dec 21.
5. M Spartera, A Damascelli, F Mozes, F De Cobelli, G La Canna. Three-dimensional speckle tracking longitudinal strain is related to myocardial fibrosis determined by late-gadolinium enhancement. Int J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2017 March 15.
6. M Spartera, R Jabbour, M De Bonis, F Pappalardo. Stepwise use of circulatory support devices in a patient refractory to cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Cardiovasc Revasc Med. 2017 Apr 8; S1553-8389(17)30116-1.
7. M Spartera, C Godino, E Baldissera, C Campochiaro, K La Spina, P Aiello, A Salerno, M Cera, V Magni, R J Jabbour, L Dagna, M Tresoldi, A Cappelletti, O Alfieri, A Colombo, M G Sabbadini, A Margonato. Long-term Clinical Outcomes of Patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis and Concomitant Coronary Artery Disease. Am J Cardiovasc Dis. 2017 Feb 15;7(1):9-18.
8. M Spartera, M Galderisi D Mele, M Cameli, A D'Andrea, A Rossi, S Mondillo, G Novo, R Esposito, F D'Ascenzi, R Montisci, S Gallina, A Margonato, E Agricola on behalf of the Echocardiographic Study Group of the Italian Society of Cardiology (SIC). Role of cardiac dyssynchrony and resynchronization therapy in functional mitral regurgitation. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging 2016 May;17(5):471-80.
9. M Spartera, M Schiavo Lena, Sanvito F, Colombo A. Early degeneration and endocarditis in a transcatheter heart valve. Eur Heart Journal 2016 Jul 21;37(28):2289.
10. M Spartera, Ottavio Alfieri, Giovanni La Canna. Transient severe tricuspid regurgitation during atrioventricular block. J Echocardiogr 2016 Jun;14(2):87-8.
11. Raman B, Ariga R, Spartera M, Sivalokanathan S, Chan K, Dass S, Petersen SE, Daniels MJ, Francis J, Smillie R, Lewandowski AJ, Ohuma EO, Rodgers C, Kramer CM, Mahmod M, Watkins H, Neubauer S. Progression of myocardial fibrosis in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: Mechanisms and clinical implications. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2018 Oct 24.
12. E Agricola, F Ancona, S Stella, I Rosa, C Marini, M Spartera, A Margonato, A Colombo, A Latib The use of Echocardiography for Guiding Percutaneous Tricuspid Valve Procedures. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2017 Oct;10:1194-1198.
13. F Giannini; A Aurelio; M Spartera, Azeem Latib; Antonio Colombo. Coronary sinus reducer implantation for the treatment of chronic refractory angina: a single center experience. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2016; 68:B144-B144.
14. I Rosa, C Marini, S Stella, F Ancona, M Spartera, A Margonato, E Agricola. Mechanical dyssynchrony and deformation imaging in patients with functional mitral regurgitation. World J Cardiol 2016 February 26; 8(2): 146-162.
15. Rutten B, Maseri A, Cianflone D, Laricchia A, Cristell NA, Durante A, M Spartera, Ancona F, Limite L, Hu D, Li H, Uren NG, de Groot PG, Mannucci PM, Roest M. Plasma levels of active Von Willebrand factor are increased in patients with first ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction: A multicenter and multiethnic study. Eur Heart J Acute Cardiovasc Care 2015 Feb; 4(1):64-74.
16. Godino C, Parenti DZ, Regazzoli D, Rutigliano D, Lucisano L, Viani GM, M Spartera, Chieffo A, Donahue M, Cappelletti A, Locuratolo N, Parisi R, Fattori R, Presbitero P, Margonato A, Briguori C, Sardella G, Colombo A; Italian Nobori Stent ProspectIve REgistry-1 Investigators. One-Year Outcome of Biolimus Eluting Stent with Biodegradable Polymer in all Comers: The Italian Nobori Stent Prospective Registry. Int J Cardiol. 2014 Nov 15;177(1):11-6.
17. C Godino, A Pavon, A Mangieri, G Viani, S Galaverna, M Spartera, A Chieffo, A Cappelletti, A Margonato, A Colombo. PlaCor PRT Measurement of Shear-Activated Platelet Aggregate Formation in Stable Patients treated with Single and Dual Antiplatelet Therapy. Platelets. 2014;25(5):337-42.
18. Durante A, Peretto G, Laricchia A, Ancona F, M Spartera, Mangieri A, Cianflone D. Role of the Renin-Angiotensin-aldosterone system in the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis. Curr Pharm Des. 2012;18(7):981-1004
Progression of myocardial fibrosis in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: mechanisms and clinical implications.
Raman B. et al, (2019), Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging, 20, 157 - 167
Progression of myocardial fibrosis in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: Mechanisms and clinical implications.
RAMAN B. et al, (2018), EHJ Cardiovascular Imaging / European Heart Journal - Cardiovascular Imaging
Echocardiographic signs of post-TAVI thrombosis and endocarditis
Spartera M. et al, (2017), EUROPEAN HEART JOURNAL, 38, 860 - 861